Canned Responses

Wondering what these are? Well, Canned responses are predetermined responses to common questions. Rather than typing again and again the same answer, or pasting from some other resource the operator can insert a canned response triggered by keystrokes or from a drop down menu.

I was working on writing a software requirements document today where I had to write about canned responses. While writing about it, it just struck me, how even in our daily lives, we use various canned responses. Let me give you some examples. When a wife wants the husband to take her out shopping, the husband has a few canned responses he would always pick from to avoid going from one shop to another carrying bags. These canned responses could include, having lot of work and not being able to come home soon, or, feeling very tired and not feeling too well etc. When a girl brings up the marriage topic, the boyfriend who is not ready for commitment will pick from his set of canned responses. Similarly, for showing up late at work, we always come up with one of the few usual responses which include, heavy traffic or an accident, or flat tire etc etc. Often people give me any one of their canned responses, for any question that I ask them frequently. Amazes me, how we use such responses as a way of escapism or avoiding confrontation. Oh by the way, I am not any good either, I am a queen of using canned responses, but, then I try to vary them a lot.. ;)